Archives of the Diocese of Georgia
18 East 34th Street
Savannah, Georgia 31401
Welcome to the Archives
This website is an online repository for archive materials for the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia.
We need volunteers to assist in transcribing some old documents and in scanning others. If you would like to assist in making paper materials available on this site, please contact Maggie Lyons at the diocesan office (912) 236-4279.
The following is part ten of a project by Morehouse Publishing. The overall project was named “How Our Church Came to Our Country.” Part X was a history of the Church of England in Georgia becoming the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia. The history goes through 1908. It was written by Jimmy Lawrence, who was added as a Saint of Georgia by then Bishop Henry Louttit in 1998.
The following text was written for the January 21, 1945 issue of The Living Church, the bulk of which issue was dedicated to the Diocese of Georgia.
THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN GEORGIA was originally planned to appear during the celebration of the Golden Anniversary of the Diocese of Atlanta in 1957. For many reasons Its publication at that time was not possible. We are happy to present it now, and I think you will like it.
The Journals of the Diocese of Georgia’s Annual Convention:
This archives is built around the bishops of the Diocese of Georgia’s ten bishops. However, the mission and the ministry of the diocese has been and remains to be carried out by many faithful people, lay and ordained, who have dedicated their lives to the spread of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the work of the congregations and institutions of this diocese.
Follow the parish histories of congregations in the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia
This archives is gathering both the stories which breathe life into history as well as the cold facts of the data collected over time, which gives a different glimpse at the life of the Diocese of Georgia.